Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Javanese Primitive Wooden Sculptures

Forget away typical sculptures that you have often seen. This kind of wood sculpture is just unusual I ever seen. I found this kind of folk art when I was on my way out of getting lost in the middle of tropical forest of East Java named Alas Roban, about 3 years ago. At haphazard, things which are unsual and unique stole my attention. They are now my most favorite stuffs ever in my gallery. I got psyched to have found them! I really do love them for they are unusual, deep expression, figurative, and allusive sometimes. 


What kind of thing is this, exactly? It is made up of fragmented aereal root of Jati wood aged 40 years old! Jati wood is known for its durability. It's usually used as high quality construction material. There are many Dutch buildings in Indonesia of the past centuries that used Jati wood still stand sturdily up to now. This high-valued wood could only thrive in tropical forests and it gets scarce nowadays. That is why it becomes one of hard assets of my beloved country. It makes Jati wood’s product always be good investment as well. But, how about root of Jati wood?

The folks around Alas Roban tropical forest of East Java have caught their creativity! That kind of material seems not necessary to use to. Nonetheless, the creativity proves the contrary. Through their wonder hands, it becomes adorable thing. The roots of the strong wood that is the strongest material ever due to their age and quality are the perfect wallboard for the folks to carve the magic on. Those durable goods will go along way through the centuries.

Here are some that I can share meanwhile. You could enjoy many more on my upcoming posts. I would like to surprise you! So, stay in touch on my blog:)

(I'm trying a tiny bit of my photography work using my iPhone camera by the way. I just  enjoy really the ritual of capturing anything that way, instead of taking pics with DSLR camera:))






No comments:

Post a Comment